“Adjustment of Status”

Jurisdiction: United States United States

This is the process that you can use to apply for lawful permanent resident status (also known as applying for a Green Card) when you are present in the United States. This means that you may get a Green Card without having to return to your home country to complete visa processing.

Source: USCIS Glossary, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services