“Special Master”

Jurisdiction: Canada Canada

Similar to Parenting Coordinator. Baris et al. (2001: 10) use the term parenting coordinator (PC)as a generic or umbrella term. They state "By Parenting Coordinator, we mean an individual assigned by the court or by stipulation through the court whose task is to educate, mediate, and perhaps arbitrate parental disputes over the raising of their children." They also employ the term "high-conflict manager." In some jurisdictions, such professionals are referred to as special masters or special advocates.

Source: Glossary - Managing Contact Difficulties: A Child-Centred Approach (2003-FCY-5E), Department of Justice Canada